Tuesday, September 6, 2011

{Recipe} :: Pumpkin Everything Cookies (Free printable recipe card)


I signed up to bring the snacks for Stella's preK class this week. Lucky me, I got a short week (and didn't even realize it when I signed up). Since we were out of town this weekend, I had to stick to my old reliables for healthy school snacks.

  1. Fruit.  Today I sent bananas and a plastic knife so the teacher can cut each banana in half.
  2. String Cheese.
  3. A "mix". I just use a few items. These are the 4 I used today: chex cereal, pretzels, yogurt covered raisins, and mini marshmallows.
  4. My Pumpkin Everything Cookies. I know they are cookies, but they are made with some good-for-you ingredients.

Since it is so close to fall, I was eager to make my first (of many) batches of these this year. They are fully customizable, too!  I just use whatever "everythings" I have on hand.

...Here is my recipe for a very ADAPTABLE pumpkin cookie that FREEZES very well, too!...
{Recipe} Pumpkin Everything Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves

And the "everything" part:
1 cup chips - -chocolate, white, mini, peanut butter, etc.
1 cup crunch - - oats, granola
1 cup nuts - - slivered almonds, chopped walnuts, pecans
1 cup dried fruit - - cranberries, golden raisins, raisins, etc.


1.  In a large bowl, mix butter and sugars. Beat in egg and pumpkin.

2.  In another bowl, combine flours, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, salt, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves. Gradually add this to the pumpkin mixture. Stir in the "everything" ingredients.

3.  Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet. They don't really spread out when you bake them, so about 2 inches apart is good. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes. Cool on wire racks. These cookies also freeze very well!!



The recipe made about 48 cookies.  So after I bagged up all the cookies for Stella's classmates, I was left with just four.  What is four cookies?!  A snack for me.  I had opened one of those huge cans of pumpkin to make these and just froze the leftover pumpkin for future cookies.  (There is about 3 cups of pumpkin in one of the big cans. I divided the pumpkin into two ziplocs and put into the freezer.)


These are just my favorite go-to cookie that I don't feel bad giving to my kids.  I always over measure the pumpkin, too.  Today I used craisins, mini choc chips, and oats.  I didn't know if the kids would eat them if I put a nut in them.  No allergies in the class, I just thought they would freak out and not eat them.  They may not eat them anyway, I realize that.  These kids are 4.

If you would like to print out this recipe to keep, click below and print.  


Linking here:
PhotobucketTodays Creative BlogTip Junkie handmade projectsNightOwlCraftingSomewhat SimplePhotobucketA Crafty Soiree Transformation ThursdayThriftyThurs Thrifty Thursday Week 3436th AvenueBWS tips buttoncraft Making Keeping It Simple




10 comments:

  1. Saw your cookies on Hoo's Got Talent and they made me drool. They look so good, I'm going to have to make some. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, these cookies have me SO excited for Fall. They look delicious! I can't wait to make them!

    I found you over at the Creative Juice linky party and am your newest follower. :)

    morrowsunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! These look so good and it is great when you can add in some of the healthy "secrets" too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, these look delicious! Thank you for the print out. I'm going to make them VERY soon.
    www.projectqueen.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like such a great recipe. I cook my pumpkins and make pumpkin puree for pies and such- it is a little more watery than the canned but I think it is much better tasting! I hope my pumpkin will work with this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just thinking what to do with all my pumpkins and I didn't want to throw them to the chickens...Thank you for the wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is nice. I never used pumpkins for cookies yet but I am so curious that I want to give it a try today. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love these they sound great I love pumpkin so yummy come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm trying to make these today and noticed that the instructions ask you to mix in baking powder and salt, but these are not listed on the ingredient list. Can you tell me how much I'll need of each? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. RE: Casey, I didn't have your email so I am posting here...

    Ohmy! I botched up that one!!

    Thanks for pointing this out. I am so embarrassed. I prefer to be error-free when posting something like a recipe! ugh.

    It is 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1tsp baking powder

    I am looking at my recipe card and it is all wrong! I am so sorry to you and to anyone else who is trying to follow this (my) nonsense!!

    ReplyDelete

Share this

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...